[Sderby] Suse 8.0 installation

Dominic Knight sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 17 18:21:00 2002

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 17:20, mark wilkes wrote:
> Hello group
>
> I am having problems with SuSe 8.0 installation. I have installed the f=
irst
> 2 cd's, been prompted for root password, created a user account and vie=
wed
> my new o/s. However I do not know how to install the remaining 5 cd's o=
> any other s/w.
That is down to the software you chose at install time, the bits you sele=
cted=20
only require the first two cd's to install. To go through the other avail=
able=20
software start yast2 again and on the first screen you will have the=20
opportunity to add additional programs. the last 2 cd's only contain sour=
ce=20
code.

> I have also tried and failed to install a driver for my cd
> burner and scanner.=20
More details on brand and model please.

>Printer is working ok. I have dual booted with win98
> until I can set up my internet and mail facilities up and running. ( an=
> tips )
f you are on dial-up use yast2 simple network - modem to add an account t=
hen=20
if you are using KDE as a GUi set up kmail to handle any pop3 accounts.=20

> The only relevant experience I have is installing HP-UNIX 10.20 & 11
> clean installs. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to Li=
nux
> and this is my first installation (yast2 did everything).
>
> Thanks for your time Mark Wilkes.

Regards,
Dominic.