[Sderby] kmail

Dominic Knight sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 17 22:16:01 2002

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 20:55, mark wilkes wrote:
> Dom
> I cannot get my mail or internet to work I have configured the modem bu=
t it
> is not dialling. Any ideas ?
> USB devices cd burner & scanner also not working.
> Mark.
I was going to say;
Which of the dialers are you using (kppp, wvdial/kinternet?) do you get a=
ny=20
error messages?=20

But then google turned this up which seems to say not a hope - this is ve=
ry=20
old though so it may be possible now.

Dom
What is HSP?
 HSP stands for Host Signal Processing. This refers to using the host=20
computers processor (Pentium chip) in place of a dedicated chip on the mo=
dem=20
(DSP) to perform the Digital Signal Processing.

Can I use my modem with Operating sytems other than Windows 95?
 No! The HSP modem currently only works in Win95. The chipset maker (PCte=
l)=20
claims that they may support other Operating Systems in the future. Curre=
ntly=20
they claim they will support OS/2 and Windows NT soon. PCtel currently ha=
s no=20
plans to run on the DOS operating system.

 Why does my system slow down when I'm online?
 The description of what HSP stands for will give you the best clue. The=20
Digital Signal processing that is done by a chip (DSP) on most modems is=20
being done with the computers CPU. This will of course leave less CPU cyc=
les=20
for other running programs. If you are running a Pentium-166 or faster, t=
he=20
performance loss will not be noticable to most users. But if you are a po=
wer=20
user that is multi-tasking on a regular basis while online, I strongly=20
recommend that you purchase a modem with a DSP.See comments page from HSP=
=20
users for their own views.