[Sderby] No Sound?

David Jolley sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 15 22:19:01 2003

* Chris (chrisc01@ntlworld.com) wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'm having probs getting sound through using MD 9.0.  Using my onboard
> soundcard, I just get an error message at boot that there's no such
> device as /dev/dsp, which there isn't.  The /dev folder contains no file
> or folder of this name.  The MD control centre provided no configuration
> options.

Ooops.  Try running MAKEDEV (it should be in your /dev directory) as
root, with the single parameter 'audio', it'll create /dev/dsp for you.

> Assuming poor support for onboard chips, I bought and fitted a card with
> a C-Media chip, having checked that it is definitely supported.  Same
> result :-(

If you ain't got /dev/dsp (and /dev/mixer for that matter - you need
to set volumes) you aren't going to get any sound, irrespective of how
many soundcard drivers are loaded :)

> Does anyone know a fix for this?  Any help gratefully received.

Hopefully, `MAKEDEV audio` will sort it out...

Cheers,

Dave

--
  Imagination abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters;
  united with her, she is the mother of the arts.