[Sderby] Mounting a vfat partition?

Andrew White sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Apr 23 14:35:01 2003

> I have been having problems writing to the partition. I initially
> thought it was because it was mounted read only, but I have been able to
> write to it as root. However when I have tried to change permissions I
> am told that it is not permitted..... Am I doing anything obvious wrong?

> [root@upstairs mnt]# ll
> total 36
> drwxr-xr-x   11 root     root        16384 Jan  1  1970 backupdisk
[snip]
> /etc/fstab entry
> /dev/hda1		/mnt/windows		vfat	owner,users 0 0

add uid=X,gif=Y where X and Y are the users and groups you want to mount
as. Also use umask to restrict the operations for user, group and other.

Remember that umask is the inverse of chmod options (ie those that are
taken away).

for example, you might have a group with people who're allowed to read
and write on that partition:

vfatpeep:x:5000:

then change your mount line to:

> /dev/hda1		/mnt/windows		vfat	owner,users,gid=5000,umask=007 0 0

which will allow full read and write for root and that group.

Hope this helps