[Sderby] ppc linux

David Bottrill sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 30 22:33:00 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 19:10, andy swindell wrote:
> Hello!,
> simple question for you all, i have used in the past both mandrake 8.2 &
> suse 8 on a X86 pc. I currently have a imac revision 1 (old style) that I
> am using until finances will allow any upgrades. How easy/hard is it to
> install a linux distro on this machine - or would it be easier to wait
> until a can lay my hands on an intel based machine. I know there are ppc
> versions of linux out there, but I cant seem to find anyone who knows the
> first thing about them.
>

> hoping you can help.

I have played with an old version os SuSE on an PowerMac 840AV with
accelerator card and it was just like using SuSE on a PC. At the time
you had to boot a minimum MACOS and then boot linux from a helper
program. Hopefully this has now improved as it must have been about 3
years ago when I tried it.

The most mentioned PPC version of Linux is "Yellow Dog" it seems to be
most highly recommended.

Dave

--
David Bottrill <david@bottrill.org>