[Sderby] 3D duel head

David Jolley sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Feb 22 13:50:01 2003

* Mini Mike (hemstock@tiscali.co.uk) wrote:
> I have recently setup a duel head config, however, OpenGL apparnetly will not
> support 3D on a duel head setup.  I only need to get one monitor doing 3D.
> Does anyone know any good tricks?  Need Tux Racer :-)

Without knowing what your hardware is - which is a pretty important
thing to know for providing help - all I can say is that with a Matrox
G400 this *is* possible, by turning off Xinerama extensions.  This
makes the primary display accelerated, and the secondary
unaccelerated.  This may work for you too, but you'll obviously lose
the benefits that Xinerama brings.

A possible generic solution is to set up another X server (see
Xserver(1) for details) and have the two X servers run
simultaneously.  When you then want to play Tux Racer, simply switch
to the other X server.  I used to do something similar to get 8bpp and
32 bpp servers back in the day when colour depth made a difference...

Cheers,

Dave.

--
  Welcome to Rivendell, Mr Anderson.