[Sderby] usb modem and SUSE 8.1

James Gibbon sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 27 12:55:01 2003

"nfmartin@talkgas.net" wrote:

> Thanks to the work of Ashley and Dom at the last meeting the
> modem now dials under kppp.  Unfortunately, it stops with the
> message The pppd daemon died unexpectedly.  Exit status 2. As a
> user when I click the details button on this dialogue box it
> shows Cannot open any of the following log files
> /var/log/syslog.ppp, /var/log/system, /var/log/messages.  If I
> am logged in as root it shows Can't open options file
> /etc/ppp/peers/kpp.  No such file or directory.
>
> But if I now try kinternet, kinternet works fine.   If I don't
> try kppp before kinternet, it stops with message stdin not
> read/write and $MODEM not set.
>
> Can anyone throw any light on why kppp can arrange things so
> that kinternet works properly, when kinternet cannot do it for
> itself.

Probably can't help much as I've never used kinternet (or SUSE
come to that), but -

Does kinternet consistently fail when run both as root and under
a standard id?

If you know the device name of your modem, it might be worth
setting MODEM to this before starting kinternet to see what
happens, ie:

    export MODEM=/dev/whatever
    kinternet

.. it's quite likely that /dev/modem is symlinked to the modem
device, so if you aren't sure, try using that.

James