[Sderby] Suse 8.1 problems

David Bottrill sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 18 21:51:01 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 21:14, Tony Martin wrote:
> Possible, but have heard other reports of 8.1 being a bit buggy.
> Any other people have experience?
> Ta Tony

I've been running it on a number of machines since it was released in
October. The biggest problem I have had is with correctly configuring
CD-RW drives, there is a bug in the setup program that configures
IDE-SCSI emulation incorrectly. SuSE have a fix for this on their
support database, also I think there is a similar document with a list
of known problems are suitable fixes.

There is a cosmetic problem with the Java plugin not working with
Mozilla, this being due the fact the the plugin was compiled with and
older version of GCC, there are many fixes to this, searching the SuSE
mailing list will reveal many different options, I just downloaded
Mozilla from www.mozilla.org which was statically compiled with a
version of GCC that is compatiable with the Java plugin on SusE 8.1.

8.1 is certainly faster than 8.0 and works very reliably on my PCs the
look on feel of KDE is superb.

I installed 8.1 on an old Compaq P75 based server yesterday this was a
bit of a challenge due to the old nature of the hardware and the fact
that the boot CD didn't have a driver for the on-board SCSI controller
so it would not see the CD drive and hence would fail.

With a bit of massaging and the use of boot floppies it installed well I
have installed apache and it's web serving performance is blindingly
fast, not bad for a P75.

--
David Bottrill <david.bottrill@ntlworld.com>