[Sderby] New install of SUSE 8.1

Tony Martin sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 23 00:31:02 2003

Discovered I had a dodgy RAM stick so decided to re-install 8.1. Still
same problems when I choose my packages so decided to let it choose
packages and hey presto it's working.

I find the display rather hard to see even having tried 1024  and 800
(I have a large monitor) and it still ain't right! Oh well

I tried running Digiguide and WINE started up. After it copied the
Windows files and I managed to install Digiguide. It crashed after an
update, ran again and it crashed after update. Ran it again and it
worked. Total time 3 minutes from clicking on the exe. Things are improving.

I now use Open Office and Mozilla under Windows where possible. They are
very good (although they still have the odd problem). Caution though,
open offic is slow to start and if you use the quick start option it
will eat 20mb of RAM straight away without anything open!

Have fun
Tony