[Sderby] Getting into the IT sector

David Coulson sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 23 15:07:01 2003

slh@f2s.com wrote:
> does anyone here have any advice for me about getting a job in IT?
>
> i've got a degree in cybernetics, which is basically useless because noone has
> heard of it. it covered a wide range of things, but mainly concentrated on
> control systems and web based programming.
>
> i have knowledge of linux, web programming in php and java, databases, all
> versions of windows(dont hate me, i cant help it), TCP/IP networks and general
> PC hardware, though none of it is paid experience, so it doesn't count when i'm
> applying for jobs.
>
> i need to get some experience before i can get a job, but i need a job to get
> experience. oh well, lifes a bitch.
>

> TIA for your time and help
>
> Ian Spratt
> Office Dogsbody
> Sure Start - Rosehill

Have you considered sending a portfolio of your work to as many IT firms
as you can find addresses for. A program or website that you have been
involved with would be a good start to attract interest.
Additionally you might like to consider some management qualifications.
If you are unemployed you might even be eligible for help in this.
Good Luck
Dave Coulson