[Sderby] Fwd: Linux at a school

Dominic Knight sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 7 22:48:01 2003

Anyone near Long Eaton who can offer advice and assistance for this?
Regards,
Dominic

Subject: Linux at a school
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:22:01 +0100
From: Tony Martin <tony.martin11@ntlworld.com>
To: lugmaster@sderby.lug.org.uk

Hi Mike or whoever is there, it's Tony from Borrowash. I am just
 about to move to Wales (at last) and am just finishing at Stanton
 Vale School in Long Eaton
I have just installed SUSE 8.2(dual boot Win98) on most of the class
 PCs there to give them Internet access and Open Office.and some
 other bits and bobs.

They are currently at a fork for them. Windows on the left, linux on
 the right, or a mix down the middle. The main decider for SUSE may
 be that a lot of their stuff may not work on Windows 2000/XP as a
 lot was designed for DOS or 3.11. The rest might run on WINE so
 their is real potential for a "conversion".

What I would have done if I was comtinuing to work there would be
 SUSE dual boot on all class PC's, Windows with office on amin
 side(they have to have absolute ompatability there) There is the
 possability of WINE for some stuff, but due to the "special" nature
 of the school and software (90 special needs kids) WINE may no be a
 perfect solution. In total they will be ending up will about 20-30
 PCs and two simple servers. It's an exciting time and there may be
 the possability of paid work there (only 4 hours a week, but I was
 on a good rate there.)

Is there anyone there who might be able to offer some support. I
 have a feeling that with that support they may well rise to Linux,
 otherwise I feel they will fallback onto the familiarity of
 Windoze.

All the best to everyone and I will try and keep in touch.

Cheers

Tony and David