[Sderby] Fwd: Linux at a school

Derek Huskisson sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 8 09:36:01 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 01:17, Martin Brentnall wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would say it really depends on what software they need to use on the
> machines. One thing that I did want to mention in regards to the DOS and
> Windows 3.11 software that you mentioned, chances are that most software that
> old should work just fine on WINE, and I've recently been playing with DOSEmu
> too, which also works extremely well. I'm not entirely sure how you'd set it
> up though, since I'm on Gentoo (did the "emerge dosemu" and Gentoo did it for
> me :))
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

I agree with what Martin has said, especially if money is important.
WINE and DOSEmu are the way to go.
 I don't normally run SuSe but I've got an evaluation SuSe 8.2 CD and
I've just checked that and it has got DOSEmu on it and it installed with
no problems.
	Pushing my luck I tried to run an old shareware program off floppy,
(NeoPaint). It loaded OK, but crashed when I tried to use it.

I thing I noted is that SuSe's version of DOSEmu used Freedos as its dos
program. It may run better with MSDOS.

--
Derek Huskisson <derek@huskisson.free-online.co.uk>