[Sderby] (no subject) - ntl broadband modem

Chris sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 25 10:53:01 2003

> Hi Flash

I too use Mandrake - only started last year with release 8.2,
subsequently upgraded to 9.0 and have 9.1 staring at me, ready to be
installed.  This upgrade process included migrating the OS to a new box
which I didn't really need (but built more for the sake of a case mod
than the hardware upgrade - tch tch! :-).

I'd dabbled for some considerable time previously with various distros
(acquired from magazine-front cd's, computer fairs, etc) but MD was the
only one I found that worked 'out of the box' for me.  Consequently, as
I have limited experience, and, unlike many around here am not an IT
pro, I'll let others speak for their preferred distro.

One thing I do have painful experience of is getting the ntl:home 100
modem to work with MD.  I spent 2 weeks trying to fix this!  Obviously,
it is 'badged' by ntl, and I got as far as determing the manf'r, and
searching their website for Linux USB drivers - there were none.  The
advice I received, from ntl tech support and elsewhere, ultimately
provided the simplest solution; use the ethernet connection!  Linux has
much better networking than USB support.  I switched connections, and
there it was!  No config needed, or reboots, etc.  If you don't have an
ethernet card, well you can pick them up for a fiver at computer fairs
if you have a spare PCI slot.  If you're dual-booting, Windas connects
with the modem just as readily via ethernet as USB.  You won't have to
set it all up again.

Hope that helps

Chris