[Sderby] Linux Advice

sderby@mailman.lug.org.uk sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 4 22:30:01 2003

David

Your set up sounds very similar to mine. I run Highway using an ISDN router
and a linux box as a proxy server (squid)/sending and receiving email. This
speeds up ISDN because web pages are cached locally, it also sends and
collects email automatically via the router. All the computers on the
network "point" at this box for accessing the internet and for email. I
don't think anything changes for broadband except that you end up with a
static IP address so need to be a bit more careful about security.

Re your other points:
(a) The box described above is running SuSE 7.2, but any of the more recent
versions will work as well. The more important factor is to ensure that your
hardware is supported by SuSE. You can check this on their web-site.
(b) I have never used the fax facility, since I have a stand alone fax, but
SuSE comes with HylaFAX.
(c) You can continue using Norton anti-virus as before. Most virus's cannot
attack a Unix system, so keeping Norton on your Windows system is sensible.
(d) In order to achieve file sharing you need to install a SAMBA server on
your linux box. This will allow you to share a common area using the SMB
protocol which is fully supported by Microsoft. All your Windows 98 machines
will be able to see and share the data in the common area on the linux box
provided (i) they are in the same workgroup and (ii) you have set up the
appropriate access permissions. SAMBA can be as simple or as complicated as
you want to make it.

Andre