[Sderby] Radio licences

Simon Hales sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jun 5 07:43:00 2003

Hi

If you have a Linux box and a radio license you can attach a packet
radio modem to your serial port and have fun on the packet radio
network.  I was given a packet radio modem a while back, but have never
got round to playing with it.

Would definitely be interested in a radio license, will listen on the
list for more details.

As far as I know, packet radio is a slow (i.e. old fashioned 2400 or
9600 baud serial port speed) wide area network, like a primitive
Internet.  Although each packet radio modem has only a limited range,
many places (such as Derby University I think) run packet radio
repeaters, so you can get access to a very big network with a lot
of users all over the UK.  There are even packet radio gateways to the
Internet, so you do things like reading your sderby list mail on a
packet radio link.

Regards

Simon Hales