[Sderby] Radio licences

Andy Davidson sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jun 6 09:57:00 2003

At 21:03 05/06/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>OK, now its starting to look a bit more promising, whats involved in
>obtaining a licence.

I thought someone more authoritative than myself would reply before now, so
I was keeping my mouth shut, because the procedure may have changed in the
last few years since I recited this information with some certainty..

When I last considered getting a license, just before going to university,
the particulars were :

  Class B license - allowed to operate on 70cm and 2M bands
  Class A license - allowed to operate on shorter wavelengths (talk to
people further away).

To obtain a class A license, you need to secure a morse-code proficiency
test, and have a Class B license.

To obtain a class B license, you need to pass a Radio Amateurs examination
which is set by the City and Guilds authority - the paper is in two parts,
a Radio Practice paper (which is quite easy, if you want to become a Radio
Amateur this should be all the motivation you need to become proficient
with this section of the examination !!), and an electronics theory paper,
which I say is quite hard, but I'm useless at anything electronic, so I did
struggle through the chapters in the Radio Amateur Examination Manual.  I
might fare better this time.

Ever since I was a Club Amateur, there's been pressure on the Radio
Authority to make the examinations more inclusive before the hobby dies, so
I hope it's got substantially easier to get a license (I don't know why you
need to pass Morse proficiency, to operate on frequencies where most people
communicate by *talking to each other*, and I don't understand why the
electronics test has to be so strict..).

If it has got easier than I'll certainly have found an renewed interest.

--
Regards, Andy Davidson
<andy@nosignal.org>