[Sderby] Procmail & Spam assasin

David Bottrill sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jun 28 12:05:00 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 13:42, David Jolley wrote:

<Snip>

> It's also likely that the spammers are getting annoyed with the amount
> of returned (bounced) spam - they are starting to put another poor sod
> as the sender - I know of quite a few people who have had upwards of
> 10000 (ten thousand) emails punted at them because they have been used
> as the "From" in the spammers email.  So bouuncing is not necessarily
> upsetting a spammer, but annoying some poor, unsuspecting sod who's
> ISP - think Tiscali, Freeserve - is creaking under the volume of
> bounced spam.  One Tiscali's recent email outages was due to a spammer
> using a Tiscali address as the From, and using a dictionary attack on
> AOL/Hotmail as the To, and the volume of bounced mail killing their
> POP3 server.
> For this reason alone, I think you're being a better netizen by not
> bouncing the spam, but filtering it off into an oft-unread maildrop
> thereby lessening the load on the 'net.

I agree with Dave, most of the spam floating around now appears to come
from spoofed email addresses, if we bounce these email more likely than
not we are ourselves spamming others who are probably not guilty of
spamming. In the end we are just eating up more Internet bandwidth.

--
David Bottrill <david@bottrill.org>