[Sderby] St. Peter's Church

Mike Hemstock sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 19 21:33:01 2003

Folks,

St. Peter's Church, Derby have recently put in a request to EDS for help =
in=20
setting up a new IT suite.  They want to have a number of PCs for use by =
the=20
communitry, mainly the local children.  Dave Bottrill, myself and a numbe=
r of=20
our work collegues have offered to help out on this.

Our proposed solution is to deploy a number of Thin Clients connecting to=
 a=20
Linux Terminal Server.  We also want to bring a number of existing PCs on=
to=20
the LAN, deploy a couple of printers and broadband internet.  As well as=20
providing a CD Writer and Digital camera.

EDS can provide the PCs, firewall and networking gear.  However, as our k=
it is=20
mostly office desktops, they aren't really upto acting as a Terminal Serv=
er. =20
Also, we need to get the room networked and powered on a shoe string budg=
et.

That's where you kind soles come in!  Although we need some powerful kit =
for=20
the Terminal Server, this is only limited to Processor, Motherboard, Memo=
ry=20
and Hard Disk.  The rest won't really be touched so don't need to be of s=
uch=20
a high spec.  Therefore, I am asking for donations of the following:

* Video Card
* Case
* PSU
* 100Mbps Network card
* Floppy Drive
* Keyboard
* Mouse
* Monitor

Additionally, the room requires trunking, with power and Cat 5 running=20
through.  Would anyone be able to provide:

* Trunking
* Real of Cat 5
* RJ45 face plates
* Plug sockets
* Power cable
* Qualified labour to fix the above (mainly the power)

All help would be greatly appreciated (especially because we want to touc=
h=20
these people up for a Linux Demo Day venue :-)

Thanks again,

Mike.