[Sderby] ADSL Problems - gah!

Mike Hemstock sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Mar 29 23:31:00 2003

Kris,

As you'll soon learn, I'm not really sure what I'm going on about!  But,=20
thinking aloud, from what I don't know, MTU has something to do with pack=
et=20
sizes.  Routers and firewalls can be configured to restrict the size of t=
he=20
packets of data that travels through them.  If it's too big they can send=
 an=20
ICMP packet which effectivly says "make that packet smaller and try again=
=2E" =20
If you have a firewall blocking those ICMP packets, it'll never know and =
the=20
packets will carry on getting dumped in the bit bucket.  Given that you a=
re=20
having probelms losing 64 byte ping packets, I think we can safely discar=
d=20
the theory about MTU.  The reason that web, ftp, etc aren't working is du=
e to=20
the data disappearing!  The more data you transfer, the bigger the proble=
m,=20
which is why you can do listing, etc, but not transfer files.  In theory,=
 I=20
think that packet loss shouldn't really matter as if packets don't arrive=
=20
they are asked for again, but maybe the requests for sends go missing?  I=
=20
don't know!  The most common problem I know of that causes this kind of=20
packet loss is when NICs fail to autonegociate the speed and duplex with =
the=20
kit that the connect to.  This means that they lose packets as they are n=
ot=20
properly configured.  The only thing that I can think is that the etherne=
t=20
port on the modem is failing to autonegociate with the kit that you plug =
into=20
it, so try forcing the speed of the NIC and the duplex.  As I said, I'm n=
ot=20
really sure about any of this, but that is the best I can think of.  Any=20
other offers?  :-)

Mike.