[Sderby] NFS install of SUSE

James Gibbon sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat May 17 16:53:00 2003

James Carter wrote:

> I am trying to install SUSE on to a laptop. I have downloaded all
> of the install files to my desktop. I have placed the directory in
> my /etc/exports file. nfs is running.

I'm afraid I have no experience with NFS under Linux, but if
it's anything like other implementations (SunOS, Solaris) - you
will need to run something to get the NFS daemon to pick up your
changes to /etc/exports - typically something like 'exportfs -a'.

'exportfs' will show what's presently exported (available to be
mounted remotely).  Simply editing /etc/exports won't change
this.

> I think the biggest clue that I have to my problem is that I am
> unable to rlogin & telnet onto the desktop from other machines in
> my network. (Connection refused), but I am able to do it
> internally on the desktop.

Quite likely to be a red herring - there are a few issues
which might cause this which have nothing to do with NFS.

best of luck,
James