[Sderby] Networking

David Bottrill sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed May 28 15:32:00 2003

David Coulson said:
> Thanks for all the valuable advice, which I am now busy assessing. I am
> thinking of buying an all in one router/modem unit with four ports for
> networking from Maplin at £99. Anyone know of a better deal?

Dave,

You need to check it is an ADSL router, not a DSL/Cable router I've had a
look at the Maplins web site and they only appear to be selling DSL
routers that expect your ADSL modem to be equipped with an Ethernet
Interface, which is highly unlikely.

A quick trawl on Dabs brings up this Linksys unit BEFDSR41W This will
connect directly to you phone line and has a 4 port ethernet switch and
builtin wireless access point or for £105 + VAT they bundle it with a
laptop PCMCIA wireless card for £129 +VAT.

--
David Bottrill

david@bottrill.org