[Sderby] Networking

David Bottrill sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri May 30 00:31:00 2003

> >David Coulson said:
> > =20
> >
> >>Thanks for all the valuable advice, which I am now busy assessing. I =
am
> >>thinking of buying an all in one router/modem unit with four ports fo=
> >>networking from Maplin at =A399. Anyone know of a better deal?
> >>
> >>   =20

Dave

Just a further note, if you intent to go the wireless approach and are
worried about security then I would certainly recommend the LinkSys
range. I've just taken delivery of a LinkSys 802.11G 54Mbs access point
and it does support MAC address filtering, meaning you can register the
hardware (MAC) addresses of you wireless cards with the access point and
from then on only those devices will be allowed to connect to your
network. This would stop an unsophisticated user from connecting to your
network, however somebody could sniff your connection, capture one of
your valid MAC addresses and overide his/her card's hardware address to
your address, this is not straightforward but a linux/windows hack would
have no problem in doing this.=20

It's an added measure of protection although it is far from perfect but
I've gone for it anyway as it is certainly an improvement over the base
standard.

I think LinkSys also have this facility in their wireless ADSL router
you would need.

--=20
David Bottrill <david@bottrill.org>