[Sderby] Monitor

Derek Huskisson derek at huskisson.free-online.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 15:38:19 BST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 10:33, James Gibbon wrote:
> David Bottrill wrote:
>

> > Shocks from the power plug are mere flesh wounds compared to what you
> > can get from the innards.
> >

> That may be true now, and if so I'm pleased to hear it, but ten
> years ago or so, I was assured that it was possible to get a fatal
> shock from the plug of a Sun monitor.  I think there may have
> been an actual fatality somewhere.

I don't know specifically about Sun monitors, but a lot of equipment
have had mains filters built in. These are/were made up of a couple of
capacitors and an inductor and were designed to stop mains interference
getting inside the device and upsetting it and also to stop the device
(monitor) putting interference back onto the mains and upsetting
adjacent equipment. They could store electricity for a short while after
being disconnected from the mains and being on the mains side of the
on/off switch could certainly 'bite' you if your fingers went across the
plug contacts. This would be as Dave infers, not from the tube EHT but
would be mains voltage or perhaps a bit higher.
			Derek
--
Derek Huskisson <derek at huskisson.free-online.co.uk>