[Sderby] SuSE/today

David Bottrill david at bottrill.org
Sun Oct 12 21:58:17 BST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 21:37, claire wrote:
> Hi Chaps
>
> First I want to thank you all for today for making me welcome and to Dave
> especially for installing Suse for me, its much appreciated. I'm sorry that
> we couldn't check the internet connection and I couldn't stay any longer but
> hey ho.....

No problem, all part of the service.

> However when I got home I discovered that everything connected to the net
> fine:-) But I do have a couple of problems. I got mozilla up and tried to
> connect to their web page but an error box appeared:
> www.mozilla.org  could not be found. Please check the name and try again.
> This happened with whatever web page I tried to access.

This looks like DNS is not being discovered properly,

Fire up yast2, on the left side click  "network devices" on the right
hand side click once on network card. The network card configuration
program should run.

In the box titled "already configured devices" click the change button.
on the next screen click the "Edit" button. On the next screeen click
the "host name and name server" button.

On the next screen make sure the check box "obtain name servers and
search list via DHCP" is ticked. the OK through all the boxes, finally
clicking finish.

Hopefully now you will get this info automatically from your ISP.

When you originally did your ISP provide you with their DNS server's
addresses and with a default gateway address ? also, did they give you a
fixed IP address? I doubt it really. If they did give you DNS and
gateway information then you will have to add these manually. On the
same screen where I told you to check the box to get DNS information
automatically, this time turn off the automatic check box and add the
DNS server information manually. After you OK from this screen click the
routing tab and add the default gateway cling OK through all the boxes,
finally clicking finish.

Let me know how you get on

Dave

--