[Sderby] Help with S3 Savage card

Martin Brentnall webmaster at avalon-one.net
Wed Oct 15 23:06:36 BST 2003

Hi everyone,

I've just been trying to get some OpenGL 3D Acceleration out of the ProSavage (Twister) KN133 on my laptop... I found a site that has drivers that are "supposed" to support this chip, but when I downloaded the drivers, the Readme file says something about updating your OS from RedHat 8.0 CD's, so as I'm using Gentoo, I skipped that.

The next thing said to run ./savage_install /root/xc, but there's no /root/xc directory on my system, so it complains about not being able to find a xf86Version.h file. I check to see where this file is on my system (find / -name xf86Version.h) and it doesn't show up anywhere (I even downgraded to XFree 4.2.1, since that's apparently what the DRI enabled driver was written for).

But I'm still getting a "Direct Rendering: no" on glxinfo.

The site says that the driver has been submitted for inclusion in XFree 4.4.0, so I downloaded and installed XFree 4.3.99.11 in the hope that the correct driver would be included, but in the driver card database, there's still nothing listed and I still end up having to use the Generic savage driver with no acceleration.

So anyone got any ideas how I might go about getting some acceleration out of this ProSavage on Gentoo?

Cheers,

--
Martin

Webmaster of http://www.avalon-one.net