[Sderby] remote login to a POP3 server

andre.hefer at avhservices.co.uk andre.hefer at avhservices.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 11:22:40 BST 2003

Hi All

Does anyone have advice re connecting to a SuSE 8.2 to read mail either as POP3 or IMAP. I have had this running for a while using SuSE 7.2 acting as a POP3 server.

Under SuSE 8.2 I have the xinetd deamon running with the pop3 service listening on port 110 and telnet listening on port 23.

I am able to login via telnet and read my mail using pine.

When I try and collect the mail using M$ Outlook Express I fail to get authorised as a user (if SSL is disabled) or get authorised (if SSL is disabled) but fail to connect to the pop3 server.

I suspect that its something to do with encrypted passwords or authority to run the pop3 deamon.

Error messages are below

Any advice would be appreciated.

Andre

************Error message from Outlook Express if "Server requires SSL NOT connection is ticked ***********
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your User Name was rejected. Account: '10.29.0.10', Server: '10.29.0.10', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Unknown AUTHORIZATION state command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

*********Error message from Outlook Express if "Server requires SSL connection is  ticked *************
The connection to the server has failed. Account: '10.29.0.10', Server: '10.29.0.10', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E