[Sderby] remote login to a POP3 server

andre.hefer at avhservices.co.uk andre.hefer at avhservices.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 09:19:36 BST 2003

> >Andre Hefer wrote:
>>
> > Does anyone have advice re connecting to a SuSE 8.2 to read mail either
as
> > POP3 or IMAP. I have had this running for a while using SuSE 7.2 acting
as
> > a POP3 server.
> >
> > Under SuSE 8.2 I have the xinetd deamon running with the pop3 service
> > listening on port 110 and telnet listening on port 23.
> >
> > ************Error message without SSL login  by Outlook
> >, Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Unknown AUTHORIZATION
> > state command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No ...Server Error: 0x800CCC90.
> >
> > ************Error message with SSL login  by Outlook
> >Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10061

>Mike Hemstock wrote:
>
> The IMAP server in SuSE 8.2 is configured to only allow SSL connections.
Just
> remove it and then install the rpm off SuSE 8.1, which works fine or maybe
> you need SuSE 8.0!  You get FTP the rpms from ftp.suse.com.

>Glyn Harris wrote:
>
>Have you got secure password authentication(SPA) checked in the account
properties
> of outlook express, if so try unchecking the box, it causes many 'unknown
errors'.

Glyn and Mike,

Thanks for your advice. I agree with Mike's analysis of the problem i.e SuSE
8.2 uses the UW IMAP server which requires SSL. If Outlook is configured not
to use SSL the xinetd listens on port 110 for a POP3 connection but
authorisation fails. If outlook is configured to use SSL it chooses port
995, but looking on Webmin no service is listening on port 995.

My questions are (a) Where do I look to see if SuSE has SSL enabled and (b)
What do I have to do to get SSL up and running?

Andre