[Sderby] My CD Writer setting under Linux

Martin Tee aovb94 at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Oct 22 19:33:43 BST 2003

Hi,

Setting up scsi emulation is not that difficult, but may require
re-compiling your kernel. Here's what I've done on a RH 7.3 system.

Run make xconfig to configure your kernel compilation settings. Under
the "SCSI support" menu set "SCSI support" and "SCSI generic support" to
Y (using M here might work, but I've not tried it). Under the
"ATA/IDE/MFM/RCC Support" menu set "SCSI emulation support" to Y. If set
to M these settings create scsi_mod.o, sg.o and ide-scsi.o respectively.
NB The option "Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support" should not be set to Y
if you want scsi emulation. M is OK.

Now in lilo.conf under the default data at the beginning of the file
include the line:
append="hdc=scsi"
if your cdrom is drive /dev/hdc that is :-)

An out-of-the-box distro may contain the required modules and may just
work by changing your lilo.conf file. Don't forget to run:
  /sbin/lilo -v -v
to rewrite your mbr. Does anyone know if changing the menu.1st file
works the same with grub?

I have 2 cdrom devices configured as /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1. One's a
native scsi device whereas the other is the atapi device /dev/hdc. Links
from /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrom1 come in useful.

Hope this helps,

Martin

Simon Hales wrote:
> Hi
>
> Firstly, the exact syntax of the command is "cdrecord -scanbus"; it seems
> that at least one of the commands below had a slight typo.
>
> My second guess is that you might not have something called "SCSI
> emulation" set up properly.  The standard Linux CD burning programs such
> as cdrecord are designed to talk to SCSI drives, not IDE ones.  For IDE
> devices to work, the Linux kernel must not be allowed to support any drive
> you want to use for writing as an IDE CDROM drive.  Instead, the kernel
> must pretend that it has found a SCSI card in your computer with a cd
> writer on it.

[snip]
> Converting a system to IDE-SCSI emulation is a bit of a pain, as all your
> CD device names change from IDE devices (/dev/hd?) to a combination of
> SCSI cd devices (/dev/sr? or /dev/scd?) and SCSI "generic" devices
> (/dev/sg?") so some configuration files need changing, but it is
> definitely worth it to get CD writing going.  I never write CDs under
> Windows if I can help it, and tend to get IDE-SCSI set up on any new
> system as a matter of course during installation even if there is only a
> CD ROM installed.  CD ROM drive work just fine under IDE-SCSI (sometimes
> even better than using the normal IDE support) and setting them up that
> way from the start minimizes hassle if I later add a writer.
>
> Hope this is at least some help and is pointing in the right area.  I'm
> sure that between the members of this list we can get you set up.  Once it
> is set up, it just works, no fuss, no hassle, over and over again!

[snip]