[Sderby] Fwd: action week against EU software patent plans

James Tait sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 12:47:00 2003

Dominic Knight wrote:
> Any thoughts on how we want to be involved in this as a user group?

I don't have any specific ideas at present as to how we should get
involved, but agree that we need to do something.  I thought the page at
http://amsn.sourceforge.net/ made the point quite well, but then I
understand the issue in question -- other people may not.

I find it quite ironic that the UK Government is shouting about its
intention to adopt Open Source Software, yet there has been no public
objection (at least as far as I've heard) to a broadening of the patent
laws that may render that intention entirely useless.

When the RIPA consultation happened, I was contacted by STAND
(http://www.stand.org.uk/) about it and I wrote to Margaret Beckett.  I
did get a response, but it had a definite "standard letter" feel to it.
  Perhaps a petition is in order?

Cheers,

JT
--
| James Tait                        | ICQ# 17834893                    |