[Sderby] newbie on list

Ashley Heath ashley.heath at bigfoot.com
Sat Sep 27 16:44:32 BST 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:07:00 +0100
"claire" <claire at bootiful.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I'm Claire and I have joined the list as I am very interested in installing Linux on my pc because my patience with windows is rapidly wearing thin:-)  I have been reading about it for a while but still cannot determine which would be the best version to install. It seems that Mandrake and SuSe are the top runners for a newbie to linux like me, easiest to install etc but Debian also seems to be good. Any suggestions appreciated please.
>
> Look forward to chatting with you all
>
> Claire

Hi Claire,

If your new to Linux try one of the more friendly varieties first like Suse, Mandrake or maybe even Lindows. I haven't used Redhat for some time so can't comment on that.

I also find Knoppix quite useful, it is complete Linux distrubution which runs purely from CD, great if you just want to get a feel of Linux before taking the plunge as it doesn't interfere in any way with your currently installed OS.

A lot of people like Debian, me included, but it can be a bit daunting for a new user.

HTH
Ash