[Sderby] Monitor

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Tue Sep 30 20:54:39 BST 2003

Simon Hales wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just a quick safety warning I haven't seen anyone mention yet.
> Turning off a monitor does NOT make it safe to open!  The
> capacitors in a monitor are so big, and charged to such a high
> voltage that they are capable of storing a lethal charge for some
> hours after being switched off and unplugged if you're unlucky.

That's true - when I worked at RR all our Sun monitors had safety
warnings tacked onto them, to the effect that touching the plug
terminals could kill you, hours after pulling them out of the mains
socket.  If I remember correctly, eventually we had them all
hard-wired into the wall or fitted with screw-down plugs.

Most unfortunate.