[Sderby] PostqreSQL Access help needed

Dave Voorhis dave at armchair.mb.ca
Thu Dec 30 04:14:16 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 01:32 +0000, Tony "Plays With Dynamite" Shaw
wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to create/setup a database using 'PostgreSQL
> Access' via MDK 9.2 as a root user. [...] I only use a 'root' user
> on my system. I like to
> be able to do what I like on my machine with out messing around first  ;-)

Do also you like cleaning loaded guns, work underneath your car without
jack stands, race motorcycles in the nude, juggle butcher's knives
whilst blindfolded, perform a high trapeze act without a safety net, and
avoid using the handbrake when parked on hills?  ;-/

Assuming you must insist on always running as root, you'll need to
revise your postgresql configuration file, pg_hba.conf, to include the
following line:

  local all root trust

Then you need to reload the configuration file.  There are various ways
of doing this.  One way is from the command line.  First, you must
become the postgres user:

  su - postgres

Then the following command will reload the config file:

  pg_ctl reload

Then type this to return to root:

  exit

Then type the following at the command prompt to create a 'root'
database:

  createdb root

If you can't find your pg_hba.conf file, you can locate it from the
command prompt like this:

  locate pg_hba.conf

On Fedora Core 3, it's found under /var/lib/pgsql/data

Dave...