[Sderby] Ideas/Requests for Meetings

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 4 19:37:14 GMT 2004

Ashley Heath wrote:

> The last couple of LUG meetings haven't really had any format to them,
>    we used to have regular demos or a tutorial at the meetings until
> the ideas/volunteers dried up.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to go back to some sort of structured
> meetings even if we only have a demo or tutorial every second or third
> meeting, at least it would get more people involved,

Indeed, it worked very well for Cheshire when we decided to revive
the meetings at the end of 2002. It's given enough of a focus that
social meetings have also started up again.

> does anyone have any ideas for new demos or projects we can all get
> involved in. Or maybe you have some expertise you could share with the
> group.

Family circumstances don't leave me with much time
to get out at the moment, but when I can I have a
couple of ideas for talks...

... but how about local resources - do RR use Linux?
We had Jodrell Bank talking about their Linux cluster,
maybe someone knows someone with something like
that - it could also be advertised outside of the LUG.

> A couple of ideas for starters, any volunteers??
> An introduction to the Linux shell commands
> Bash scripting
> Setting up a server

Good ideas :)

> Any other ideas?

Samba; terminal server; VOIP; low resource Linux;
Linux on non-x86 architectures; firewalls with IPtables;
customising Knoppix....

> Ash

- Richard