[Sderby] Remote k3b

Flash¹³ Egis-Minsky entericcoated at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 8 10:52:06 GMT 2004

>From: Mike Hemstock <hemstock at tiscali.co.uk>
>Subject: [Sderby] Remote k3b
>Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 20:06:36 +0000
>
>Hi folks,
>
>I've been having some problems with k3b.  I first noticed this on LTSP.  If
>tried to use k3b, I would get error messages when trying to read a CD for
>cloning.  The errors basically said I didn't have permission to read the
>CD.
>If I ran as root, it was fine.  I tried this on another vanilla SuSE 9.0
>box.
>I logged in from another SuSE 9.0 workstation and ran k3b.  Again, I had
>the
>same problem.  As a user I didn't have the right permissions, but as root
>all
>was well.  Then I logged on locally with the same userID and I could read
>the
>CD fine.
>
>Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?  I thought remote X just
>run
>the process locally and displayed the image on another X server?  This
>should
>therefore make no difference regarding permissions if I logged on remotely
>or
>locally!
>
>Mike.

Mite it not be read write prioritsation to stations thats causing these
errors?

as I remember k3b caches the cd to the swap, so if your trying to remotly
access it, it mite be either trying to cache the cd to the network (hence
the auth problems) or perhaps just a bad read write error message? if its
not queing the jobs up in the right order?