[Sderby] Web update on the move?

Adrian Wood adrianwood3 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 22 17:04:32 GMT 2004

Hi all! Back again, with something not directly Linux related but I'm sure
one of you can find a way to include it in your solutions... :)

I've set up a small Mobile Links website.
(http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adrian.wood300/) At the moment, I'm making it
entirely through a basic text editor and a FTP client; it's a simple site so
this is all I need. However, I've realised that it would be really useful
(and more than a bit nifty) if, as well as it being a mobile-viewable site
of mobile-viewable sites, but if it was always mobile-updateable; that is,
if I could set something up to update the page directly from my PDA. (A PALM
OS 5 device, Handspring Treo 600.)

I haven't been able to find anything in the way of Palm software to do this,
which means I need to find another solution. At the moment, I've been able
to come up with two basic lines of thought on the issue;

1) A web interface. This would be the best solution if possible, a simple
update page which allowed me to select a page from the site, edit the HTML
and save the changed version. The question is of how; I have webspace but
not server access, so PHP etc is out (not to mention I don't know PHP
anyway.) I'm guessing Javascript is a possible, but I don't have a clue as
to how I'd actually go on about it; I don't just need an idea about what to
do, I need how to do it too.

2) An e-mail system. I do have a linux box here which I could leave
permanently on. I'm guessing it would be possible to create some form of
automated system through this; I send it an e-mail requesting a page, and it
e-mails the source back in an e-mail. I then edit the course and return it
for it, which it then passes to an FTP program to upload. (Or saves and then
send a signal to the FTP prog to upload it, whatever.) Being slower and more
complex that the web interface solution, not to mention more difficult to
implement (for me anyway,) this should be considered a backup plan.

The actual size of whatever web interface was used isn't too important; I
have plenty of space on the server, and plenty of bandwidth allowance on the
PDA.

So, any ideas?

Adrian