[Sderby] Happy New Year

Mike Hemstock hemstock at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jan 1 17:54:21 GMT 2004

Folks,

Welcome to 2004, we hope to have a fairly action packed year for the LUG.  To
start us off the programme looks something like this:

2nd January: First pub meeting of 2004 at the Babington Arms.

11th January: First formal meeting at Moira.

Early-Mid March: Linux Demo Day

June-July: Microsoft Corperation to file for Chapter 11 protection

I guess the first meeting of the year should be dedicated to setting LUG
direction for 2004.  Anyone with any comments, please post to the LUG in
advance.

On the meeting front.  The people who run Moira Replan have decided to start
charging us for the use of their facilites.  The cost is a staggering £5 per
meeting.  We usually attract about 10 people, so this works out at around 50p
per person.  Shocking, I know.  There have been a couple of ideas thrown
around.  The first is to simply have a saucer at the LUG meeting and
attendees throw in lose change.  The second involves a finance comittee and a
LUG bank account.  We then charge an annual membership fee.  This gives us
more flexability as excess money can go towards doughnats at meetings,
hireing places for install days and probably helps us bank donations.  I hope
to keep the membership fee a volentry thing so as not to discorage new
members.  Does anyone know anything about operating non-profit organisations,
like setting up bank accounts, accounting requirements, etc?

All comments welcome!

Also, we are currently looking for someone to donate the following to the LUG:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26432&item=2450501898#ebayphotohosting

Mike.