[Sderby] Linux Kazaa Lite request

Paul Grosse paul-grosse at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 13 21:29:10 GMT 2004

You don't want to have anything to do with Kazaa or any other p2p networking
program. They will initiate a connection from within your network which will
then allow anything in from the Internet.

By initiating a connection from your computer, your firewall will think that
everything else that goes through on that connection (in either direction)
is okay. Viruses, spyware and so on -- including software to take up your
processor's spare time -- can all get in if your firewall thinks it is all
right.

I had some unaccounted for traffic on my network so I used a packet sniffer
and tracked it down to a machine that my daughter had d/led a copy of p2p
networking on. Starting the program started an internally initiated session,
contacting servers all over the internet and bringing traffic in though my
firewall appliance (which had no reason to question it). That exe is now
dead.

Paul Grosse