[Sderby] various cr4p

simon lewsley simtan666 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 12:58:16 BST 2004

David Williamson

why bother buying a laptop with linux preinstalled
when you can have the great painstaking task of
installing linux and the hardware roulett on
compatability. If ur a newbee and unsure then just use
Suse or mandrake as it auto configs everything
although u may need to dload some drivers IE nvidia to
get opengl working. From exp i have a dell 8200
inspiron and everything on it works fine with suse,
mandrake, debian and gentoo. though some of the new
dell's with the wide screen can be a bi*ch to get
working in X, oh well good luck either way

Darth_moomin

Other dude with security problem,

being as busy as you are off the top of my head i dont
know if those pose a danger or not though suggest u
google the port numbers or nmap your pc to see whats
trying to talk to the outside world or what the
outside world is trying to come into. I would also
advise making sure your dist is fully sec patched,
maybe even upgrade to latest ver. also look on the ms
security list sites, some ass is prolly trying to take
out ur mysql thinking its ms sql, stranger things have
happened at sea.

Darth_moomin

Mike

book 3 days holiday and install a real dist like
gentoo heehehhe    or do debian and in a much shorter
length of time, im sure ian would agree that debian
rocks.....

Darth_moomin

Damn im being efficient, 3 posts answered, when ya hot
ya hot :P