[Sderby] Re: modem compatibiltiy

Conrad Gavin gubbs at fudo.org
Sun Jun 27 10:03:01 BST 2004

> That's true: it's a lot easier to connect a cable modem using bog-standard ethernet
> which is obviously very well-supported in every distro.  But as a matter of fact it
> is quite possible to hook up a Linux box to an NTL cable modem using the USB connection
> with a bit of effort - I did so myself for a while, it worked fine under Mandrake 9.2.
> For users who want to use the ethernet NIC for something else, worth investigating.

I'm sure it can be done .. I haven't used a precompiled kernel in a long
time tho and spending the time finding out what the relevant module is
can be tedious.

Google suggests the ntl modems are made by Ambit and the module is
called CDCEther after which dhcpcd should work as per ethernet.

Precompiled distros will show the CDCEther module loaded by (as root)
typing lsmod into the shell etc.

I still would rather eat raw baby flesh than use a USB cable modem
however ...

Conrad.