[Sderby] Re: Suse gateway help needed! (Paul Grosse)

Paul Grosse paul-grosse at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 14 11:40:58 GMT 2004

> > > Hi there!
> > >
> > > I am having difficultly connecting to my satelite broadband
> > connection
> > > which I shared over a wireless link from the other side of the
> > > village.
> > >
> > > Let me explain....
> > >
> SNIP!
>

> > I've just put one of these together :-)
> >
> > Have you go the SuSE firewall installed? The config file for
> > it makes everything fairly obvious and you should be
> > protecting your internal network with some sort of firewall.
> >
> > Which version of SuSE are you using?
> >

> > Paul Grosse
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> I am running 8.2.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> I will look at the firewall settings later - any particular changes I
> will need to make?
>
> Many thanks
>

> Matt

Matt,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. The firewall config is in
/etc/sysconfig. It is very verbosely annotated and the example configs and
faq (also there) are very helpful. At the bottom of the config file, there
is a bit about setting the speeds for the interfaces - make sure that you
set both of them (I found it useful to do this) as I have a squid proxy
which I want to use at 100Mbps and not at the broadband's 600kbps. My bottom
line looks like:

FW_HTS_TUNE_DEV="eth1,100000 eth0,575"

where eth1 is the LAN's NIC.
before I specified this, the proxy was going no faster than the broadband
connection. Afterwards, I can download stuff that is already on the machine
at far higher speeds (25Mbps for an 8MB file -- difficult to know how fast
it can get to because that takes such a short time) but a few seconds for an
8MB file is quick enough :-)

 Paul Grosse