[Sderby] Just trying out DSL and had to tell someone

Andy Davidson andyd at lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 14 21:23:25 GMT 2004

On Tuesday, March 9, 2004, at 11:12  pm, Mark Challener wrote:

> I was interested to see Solaris 2.8 in the lug library.  Is that freely
> distributable or would I have to get a key from Sun?
> I am trying it out at work this week on a sparc 30.  I've heard it is
> picky
> about graphics cards?

It's a commercial product, but it doesn't need licensing or activation
at install-time; ho hum.

If you're installing it on a Sun machine, you'll find you need to do
very little faffing with hardware setup - the OS was designed by the
hardware vendor and therefore, they're designed to work with each
other.  Another example of this is MacOS and the Apple computers - bung
the cd in and wait, the OS will recognise your hardware supplied by
Apple and 'just work' with it.

Good luck, and happy fiddling with Solaris.
Andy

--
Regards, Andy Davidson
Professional IT Support - http://www.cyccom.com/contracts/