[Sderby] Linux lap top but running server apps

David Williamson at Varilink davidwilliamson at varilink.co.uk
Thu May 20 21:40:02 BST 2004

I'm thinking of buying a new lap top to run Linux. I've always been a Red Hat man.

One of the things that I use Linux for is to support my web site development activities. I work on web sites hosted on Linux web servers. In the past I've always installed Linux including Apache, Perl etc. and this has provided me with a development at testing environment. There was always one product and so I installed all the desktop stuff plus whatever server components I needed.

Checking out Red Hat now it seems to have gone down a separate offerings route for server and workstation. This leaves me confused as to which way I should be going on my brand shiny new lap top. Guess I could always stick with my 7.1 disks but I reckon I ought to be looking to upgrade.

Any advice?

Dave Williamson