[Sderby] Linux lap top but running server apps

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Tue May 25 21:28:21 BST 2004

David Bottrill wrote:

>On Thursday 20 May 2004 21:30, David Williamson at Varilink wrote:
>

>>I'm thinking of buying a new lap top to run Linux. I've always been a Red
>>Hat man.

It's never too late to see the light:
www.debian.org
;-P

[snip]

>>Any advice?
>>

>SuSE 9.1 works for me

On a whim I tried SUSE 9.1 on a friend's Sony Vaio TR2 last night -
she wanted to try out GNU/Linux, and I hear SUSE often works well
with all sorts of new hardware. I was also short of time (I know,
never a good thing for an install :-/  )

Well it didn't - it couldn't pick up the wireless NIC, and X froze the
beast (Ctrl-Alt-backspace didn't work, and without a working NIC
there was no choice but a hardware re-boot).

SUSE's YaST config tool gave no option for the widescreen of
the laptop, and in a limited amount of time I wasn't going to
guess my own modelines :-(

Next time I'll take my usual approach - research the hardware,
install Debian GNU/Linux, and tweak by hand :^)

 - Richard

--

Fun thing to do today:

$ su -c "apt-get install bb"