[Sderby] Re: Printers

Paul Grosse paul-grosse at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 19 09:48:21 GMT 2004

On Friday 19 November 2004 08:57, Ian Spratt wrote:
> > Linux systems do not need to be extremely memory hungry.
> > Even full desktops dont need to be. Many of the big distros seem to
> > have forgotten this.
>
> this is true
> even running the latest debian unstable, it runs well on a PII 333, with
> only 64 meg RAM
> thats with kernel 2.6.8 and kde 3.3
> ian

It makes you realise just how bad Windows is. Needing
high-capacity-server-style hardware to run a desktop is reminiscent of when
DOS became so large that people upgrading to (I think it might have been 5.0)
were finding that they couldn't run their programs any more.

I can imagine the longhorn slogan - Upgrade to Longhorn
with the strapline - and then upgrade your hardware to such an extent that you
might as well have bought a new computer. Then find that your existing
programs won't run and buy new ones.
There's something fundamentally wrong with Microoft's policy of extended
inefficiency. Maybe Longhorn (or XP SE as it might be) will be the undoing of
M$.

--
Regards,

Paul Grosse