[Sderby] Re: Linux Opperating System

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 20 17:48:34 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 16:49, michael wrote:

> I have just bought a AMD 64 3200 computer with
> a dual layer dvd writer and a 200 gig hard drive.
> I have a copy of SuSE 9.1 but wondered if anyone
> can tell me if this is the best version to use or can sugest
> a better version or another linux opperating system.

There's no reason /not/ to use your current software
with your current hardware *unless* you find that there's
something that it doesn't support, that's a pain to
work around.

If you're curious about the way that other distros do things then
split the disk into a handful of partitions and when you have
the time install other distros there to make comparisons.

Note that the last version of FreeBSD I tried needed a
real partition to slice for its own partitioning
system, so you may want to keep one of the first
three partitions spare for that.

hth,

 - Richard

--
Grants for Free Software development in the UK:
http://www.affs.org.uk/grants/