[Sderby] Modems

Sam Styles s.styles at lathamarchitects.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 12:27:26 BST 2004

> On Wednesday 06 October 2004 16:43, Sam Styles wrote:
> <snip>
>> Anyway, If im not sucessful I will be looking for a 56k hardware modem
>> and
>> wondered if anyone had any suggestions and comments on what they use.
>> Internal or external, price is the key. Plus the ability for it to
>> actually
>> work!
> </snip>
> Sam
>
> I have always used  external U.S. Robotics 56K Faxmodems connected to the
> serial port. I have run SuSE since  version 7.2 and have never had an
> instance where it the operating system has not detected and configured it
> straight out the box.
>
> Andre
>
> P.S. Watch out for sharing phone lines with other stuff. This can cause
> problems.

> To save yourself a whole load of bother buy a 56K external serial modem.
> These are near enough garenteed to work.  I have moved on of these from
> various versions of various OSs and they work every time.  Don't buy an
> internal modem and don't buy a USB modem, they are just not worth the
> effort setting them up.

> Mike.

Cheers guys. Many thanks for your comments. Ive been on ebay and Ive got a
couple in mind. There are some USRs and possibly a USR sportster, all serial
and priced just fine. Would be nice to get a courier though but there is
only one for sale in the US at the mo.
Thanks again, I might even get to the Bab one of these days :)
Regards

Sam

Join us on IRC: irc.lug.org.uk #sderby

Scanned for viruses by MailDefender