[Sderby] Auto log off off children

Paul Grosse paul-grosse at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 11 06:52:42 BST 2004

On Sunday 10 October 2004 23:51, Laurie L Proud wrote:
> I would like to incorporate a timed log off at childrens bed-time
> automatically prompting them to save work & log off. With a bump offf
> if non compliance.
>
> How would that be done in SuSE 9.1 with KDE
>
> Each child has their own user account.

<tongue-in-cheek>
SuSE Linux uses ReiserFS by default so you could put the computer on a timer
so that when became time for them to go to schlafie-schlafie land, the
computer would simply switch off. ReiserFS is journalled so, although you
shouldn't really switch the computer of without having shut it down first, it
is more resillient to just a power-off.

My web server suffered a power outage for six seconds (that's how long the UPS
on the Win98 machine said it was out for) during a thunder storm a few months
ago and by the time I got back to it (and noticed that it had been down), it
had finished its checking and was well into boot-up. I had seen it a minute
earlier so I know it was up then.
</tongue-in-cheek>

I supposed you could set up a crontab entry that throws them off the system at
that time (and day of week)
--
Regards,

Paul Grosse