[Sderby] Subject: SuSE 9.1 manual setup for smartlink modem

Andre Hefer (IMAP) andre.hefer at avhservices.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 12:31:09 BST 2004

Hi

Can anyone supply any advice re configuring the internal modem

on a Sony laptop. The internal modem worked fine on 9.0 but YAST

fails to install it correctly on 9.1. The following link

explains the SuSE work around.

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/thallma_91_smartlink.html

My setup is as follows:

Softmodem - smartlink 2.9.6

kernel - 2.6.?

chipset -the modem is reported as 82801 CA/CAM AC97. I think

this is an

Intel

ICH3 chip which Smartlink say is supported by their driver

The symptoms are:

kinternet reports no dial tone

When I run the slmodemd deamon in debug mode, It correctly

reports the loading of the slamr0 device driver, and the initialisation of the soft

modem, but then reports a missing data file in /var/lib/slmodem/?.dat. When it dials out it reports NO DIAL TONE.

I am afraid I am stuck.

Andre