[Sderby] root priviledges

Paul Grosse paul-grosse at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 24 17:21:26 BST 2004

On Sunday 24 October 2004 14:03, Mike Hemstock wrote:
> Just create a new user called whatever you want.  Then edit /etc/passwd.
>  The file is colon separated.  The third and fourth fields are UID and GID.
> Simply swap them for root and the new user and the new user becomes root
> and root becomes the new user.  I'm not sure how effective this would be as
> a lot of stuff can be done using UIDs, so one can simply use UID 0 instead
> of the user name and still become root.
>
> Mike.

I think that the /etc/passwd file is a copy and editing it is to no avail as
the original is protected by the system.

Could it be done with sudo? Or is that just restricted to a number of
commmands - sodoers has to be edited with visudo ( all I've go to say about
that is :q! ).

I understand that sudo is only about allowing users partial access to
restricted parts of the OS (files/processes) and not about swapping roles for
root. Is this wrong?

--
Regards,

Paul Grosse