[Sderby] Re: root priviledges

Paul Grosse paul-grosse at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 26 20:35:03 BST 2004

On Monday 25 October 2004 01:59, James Gibbon wrote:
> > I think that the /etc/passwd file is a copy and editing it is to no avail
> > as the original is protected by the system.
>
> /etc/passwd is the definitive user database.  In fact, editing it used to
> be the usual way of adding / deleting / modifying users, and should still
> work.
>
> It's protected by virtue of the fact that it's modifiable only by root.

/etc/passwd does contain the list of users but where the password goes, there
is just a star. In /etc/master.passwd, there is the full list. Is it possible
to edit both together (ie, using a GUI so that it can be done simultaneously)
or would I be saying goodbye to being able to use my system again (I suppose
I could set up another account on wheel :-)

--
Regards,

Paul Grosse

http://www.grosse.is-a-geek.com/